The Inheritance (2): The Ridley Case, con’t.

It had been a busy day so as soon as was possible, Rosetta excused herself. She wasn’t planning on taking a nap but it wasn’t long before her heavy eyes closed. The rhythm of her breathing soon changed and she was out like a light.

There were many times in everyday life when Rosetta was aware she was not alone. As a child, she and her brother Holden had experienced some strange things. While Holden chose to deny and even block the memory of their special powers, she did the opposite.

Shelly Bingham, one of the members of The Inheritance, had helped her hone her abilities. Rosetta learned a lot from Shelly and after a time, even surpassed her. She looked upon her abilities as a gift, much like Shelly did. Rosetta couldn’t imagine going through life without this extra part of her. She knew it made her special and special people went further in life.

Rosetta’s ultimate dream was to become the leader of the free world and she didn’t have a single doubt that this dream would come true. She was already employed by the mayor and in the near future, she planned to run for office.

Golden dreams of success and power swirled in her mind as she slept. Gradually, though, she became aware of a presence in the room. She didn’t want to leave her dream behind but she also didn’t want to miss any chance of conversing with a spirit.

Stretching, Rosetta slowly sat up only to see it was Clara who stood there, staring strangely at her.

“Hello, Clara,” Rosetta murmured as she rubbed her eyes.

“Did you have a nice nap?”

“Yes, thank you. May I ask what you are doing in my room?”

“I hope I didn’t startle you,” Clara answered. “Your repose looked so peaceful, I couldn’t help but stare.”

“I was having a good dream. You did not answer my question, though.”

Clara smiled slightly as if now only realizing how awkward her position was. “I apologize, Miss. I only came to tell you dinner will be served in half an hour. Do you need help dressing?”

“No thank you, Clara. Tell me, what is it you do? Are you related to Mr. Ridley?”

“Gracious no!” she exclaimed. Training her eyes downward, she smiled softly again, her expression far away. “I was Mrs. Ridley’s best friend. We met when she was a young girl and my papa came to work for Mr. Ridley. We had such a connection, I’ve never felt anything as strong before or since.”

“How and when did Mrs. Ridley die?”

Clara stared at Rosetta, her eyes suddenly glistened with unshed tears. “She was only in her thirties when she died in childbirth. The baby died, too.”

“How sad.”

“Yes, terribly sad.”

“Do you live here?” Rosetta asked.

Clara frowned. “Well, yes, I do. I lived here even after Papa died. Mrs. Ridley did not want to be without me. I was there when she died, you know.”

A small smile played on Rosetta’s lips. “Tell me, Clara… when did you die?”

Our story will continue on July 7th. Next Wednesday, look for an installment of “It’s the 20s!”

2018-07-24T21:50:56+00:00

1. loladiamond01 June 27, 2018 at 10:18 am - Reply

Oh wow. I can’t believe Rosetta just fell asleep in the middle of an adventure. Oh goodness! I wonder what’s up with Clara. Other ghosts we’ve seen were transparent and she looks very alive herself. You’ve been such a busy bee recently, Kym, updating so many of your side-stories!

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 10:28 am - Reply

Thank you, Jowita! 😀 Clara, maybe, is a different kind of ghost. LOL You’re right, I’ve been really, really busy with all my stories. It’s been almost dizzying. But I’m glad to have so much to do.

2. lifeslemonslegacy June 27, 2018 at 10:36 am - Reply

PLOT TWIST! I love this! Can’t wait for the next part. Rosetta is a character. It seems like you have the same attachment to her as I did my Gen 4 spare.

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 11:05 am - Reply

Thank you so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed this. 😀 Yes, I think you’re right about being attached to Rosetta much like you were to your Gen 4 spare. That is awesome! 🙂

3. Marjorie Flo Watts June 27, 2018 at 11:36 am - Reply

Yay, another ghost enters the story! Marty seemed to attract ghost, so perhaps it’s an inherited trait. (So glad you are using your new glasses for our benefit! =D) This could turn out to be very interesting! Murder, perhaps?? So many possibilities, I’m glad you’re the one deciding! ♥

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 11:56 am - Reply

Thank you, Marj! 🙂 haha @ using my glasses. I’m just glad I can see! lol You’re right, Marty does seem to attract ghosts. I hope you will enjoy the rest of the story as it comes out.

4. Jes2G June 27, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

Oh ho HO! Nice one, Rosie! Didn’t see that one coming. I get the feeling Clara and Mrs. Ridley were a bit more than BFFs.

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 11:55 am - Reply

Ooooh, now there’s an idea! 😀 You just never know! Thank you so much. I’m glad you didn’t see this twist coming.

5. cathytea June 27, 2018 at 12:24 pm - Reply

Oh, so fun ! I love Rosetta’s attitude and confidence !

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Thank you, CT! 🙂 I’m so glad you’re enjoying Rosetta! She is such fun to write.

6. Rosie June 27, 2018 at 12:29 pm - Reply

:O WHAT!? What a twist. Honestly, at first, I thought maybe Clara was just playing tricks on Mr. Ridley. I mean, he knew she was there. I didn’t expect HER to be the ghost! Part 3 needs to come now. XD

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Yes! A twist! I’m glad you didn’t see it coming. 😀 I’m working on Part 3. haha 😀

7. NotJustaBook June 27, 2018 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Rosetta is great 🙂 I have no doubt she’ll conquer the world!
    And I had a feeling that Clara wasn’t alive – the others didn’t seem to acknowledge her at all! I’m really looking forward to the next part 🙂 <3

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Thank you, Louise! And you were right! Mr. Ridley never interacted with Clara. 😀 Good catch! I’m so glad you like Rosetta. She knows what she wants.

8. Violincat June 27, 2018 at 3:58 pm - Reply

I knew it! I had a feeling Clara wasn’t among the living. Hope she doesn’t flip out at Rosetta for asking, though.

• Kymber June 27, 2018 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Thank you, Violincat! You called it! 😀 I have a feeling even if she flipped out, Rosetta would just stare at her or something. LOL

9. audreyfld June 27, 2018 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Ah ha. Hmmmmm….. 😱😱😱

10. raymondsanti June 27, 2018 at 6:53 pm - Reply

Oh wow! So Clara is a ghost… Didn’t see that coming. This mystery has kept me on my toes!

• Kymber June 28, 2018 at 9:33 am - Reply

Thank you so much 🙂 I’m so glad the twist surprised you. 😀

11. socallucyfan June 27, 2018 at 7:18 pm - Reply

I can see Rosetta becoming the leader of the free world.
    And the mystery continues…. I love it!!

• Kymber June 28, 2018 at 9:34 am - Reply

Thank you 😀 I can see that, too. hahaha I’m glad you’re enjoying The Inheritance.

12. joliesattic June 28, 2018 at 2:23 am - Reply

Fascinating, What an unraveling adventure for Rosetta.

• Kymber June 28, 2018 at 9:38 am - Reply

Thank you, Jolie. 😀 You’re right about that! 😀

13. Jerry June 28, 2018 at 4:09 am - Reply

Wow, Kymber! This is a very interesting story, just the type I hate to miss!!!

• Kymber June 28, 2018 at 9:38 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Jerry! 🙂 I’m glad you like it.

14. sempreviva June 28, 2018 at 4:29 am - Reply

Whaaaat?! Oh my god, I loved this! I literally got goosebumps with that last sentence! 😀
    Can’t wait to learn everything about Clara!
    (Oh, and, I looove Rosetta – she’s so awesome! 💕)

• Kymber June 28, 2018 at 9:40 am - Reply

Thank you so much! 😀 You got goosebumps? That makes my day! Rosetta is definitely in her element. haha 😀

15. Lila Remonn June 28, 2018 at 5:12 am - Reply

Ooh what an exciting plot twist! I thought it was Clara messing with Mr. Ridley but I did not suspect her as an actual ghost — she looks so real! Is that because Rosetta is more advanced than her mother at seeing ghosts? Can’t wait to see how Clara will react to this!

• Kymber June 28, 2018 at 9:43 am - Reply

Thank you, Lila 🙂 That’s a good question about why Clara looks real. Marty saw her, too, so perhaps they are both advancing their skills. I can’t wait to show you Clara’s reaction!

16. bmitjessesue June 29, 2018 at 8:48 am - Reply

When I read this, I couldn’t wait to get to the end. In the middle I was starting to doubt if she was a ghost or not but then you got me good with that last line. LOL’d my head off! Once again, more of these please!

• Kymber June 29, 2018 at 9:39 am - Reply

LOL Thank you so much, Bee! 🙂 I’m so glad that line got you. haha

17. heatherfeather19 June 29, 2018 at 2:16 pm - Reply

I thought Clara was the one moving stuff around, but I didn’t expect her to be a ghost! That caught me by surprise, and looking back at last chapter’s conversation, that makes a lot of sense.

• Kymber June 29, 2018 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Thank you, Heather! 😀 I tried really hard to make sure no one but Marty commented on Clara’s little insights. haha I’m glad that line took you by surprise. 😀

18. Simsered July 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Wow. As others have expressed, I also thought Clara was the one playing tricks on Mr. Ridley. I really didn’t expect for her to be a ghost as well! Things are getting interesting. 🤔

• Kymber July 8, 2018 at 2:55 pm - Reply

I’m glad you think so. 😀 I hope you will like the rest of this story, too. 🙂

19. freja64 July 15, 2018 at 12:15 am - Reply

Ha! So that’s why the others didn’t acknowledge Clara. I can’t wait to read the next chapter right now! 😉

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 5:05 pm - Reply

LOL Yes, exactly right about Clara and why no one responded to her or interacted with her.

• freja64 July 15, 2018 at 6:43 pm - Reply

Makes me think of a movie with Bruce Willis, I think it was, the 6th sense.

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 7:36 pm - Reply

Yes, that’s right and now that you mention that, I totally see it. haha “I see dead people.” 😀

20. lisabeesims July 15, 2018 at 4:06 am - Reply