The Stream, a black CATastrophy Short Story

Her grandmother’s chair creaked and groaned as she sat on the front porch for a long overdue break. The sky grew darker, indicating a storm was heading her direction. An imminent disturbance that only reminded her of the tempest twisting and blustering in her heavy heart.

The wind heaved fiercely from the west, shaking the lilac bushes by the stream that ran through her yard, raging this way and that. She closed her eyes and wondered at the power of the wind and how it blew her carefully fastened hair across her face like wild talons threatening to claw at her careworn eyes.

alabama-rikard-s-mill-structure-wooden-161985Thunder cracked and rolled across the heavens but she wasn’t startled. Instead, she smiled with relief as the temperature dropped ten degrees. The first fat drops splattered across the front of the porch, darkening the gray, peeling paint. It was only moments before the tumultuous wind blew the rain right across her lap.

Taking a deep breath and holding it, she thought perhaps there was nothing as good as the smell of a summer rain. Yet, deep down, she knew it wasn’t true what they said about the rain. It didn’t wash away all the dirt. Instead, it left puddles and mud. And that deceivingly sweet, earthy smell.

Her grandmother’s chair continued its creaking and groaning although she had risen from it. She turned toward the stream now, once again closing her eyes against it all. Could she change what the rain really did? If she imagined hard enough, she might picture everything much better than it really was.

“I watched the stream turn into a waterfall, and then the water began to rise,” she murmured to no one.

In that moment, there were no puddles, no mud. Instead, she was engulfed in the beautiful, water as it flew over the waterfall into the rising depths surrounding her. She fell back, letting it bury her, filling her nostrils and mouth.

At last, she was clean.

divider

Thank you for reading! I wrote this as a response to the black CATastrophy Writing Prompt 08.

2018-06-15T12:24:48+00:00

No Comments

1. loladiamond01 September 26, 2017 at 10:37 am - Reply

Your writing is so artistic. Well done as always, Kym.

2. janowrite September 26, 2017 at 2:15 pm - Reply

A splendid and beautifully written tale! Loved it!

3. Lila Remonn September 26, 2017 at 2:24 pm - Reply

Oh wow, this is rather eerie but also very well written! 🙂

4. Marjorie F Watts September 26, 2017 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Well done, very poetic and descriptive! ♥

5. Rosie September 27, 2017 at 1:41 pm - Reply

This is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing it. 😀

• RosemaryMarie September 27, 2017 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Rosie. I appreciate it. 🙂

6. Sigmund22 September 27, 2017 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Great use of words and really felt like I was there. Cant wait to read more of your stories!

• RosemaryMarie September 27, 2017 at 6:53 pm - Reply

Thank you kindly. 🙂 I really appreciate it.

• RosemaryMarie September 30, 2017 at 10:33 pm - Reply

Thank you kindly. 🙂 I’ve already read two stories on your blog and I am hooked! 🙂

• Laleh Chini September 30, 2017 at 10:36 pm - Reply

Thank you. That’s so kind of you.☺

• RosemaryMarie September 30, 2017 at 10:38 pm - Reply

You are so welcome, but I feel I should be thanking you because I am thoroughly enjoying the beautiful stories. 🙂

• Laleh Chini September 30, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Oh you are so nice. Appreciate it.☺

7. The Thrifty Campers October 3, 2017 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Love the line where it says she was engulfed in the beautiful water instead.

• RosemaryMarie October 3, 2017 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Thank you so very much. I appreciate your kind words.

8. bolradhabol October 18, 2017 at 7:03 am - Reply

I love how it ends.

9. Jes2G October 29, 2017 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Was not expecting that end! Beautifully written.

10. Programming Lang October 30, 2017 at 7:36 am - Reply

🙂 I really prize it. 🙂

• RosemaryMarie October 30, 2017 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Thank you so much. That is very kind. 🙂

11. […] written in response to black CATastrophy Writing Prompt 08 published on booomcha.com. Edited for republishing on black […]