The Little Boy & the Nurse

150177481874653Once upon a time, there was a little boy and he was gravely ill. He was on the pediatrics unit of a very busy hospital. Because it was one of the best units in the state, his parents had brought him there even though that meant they could not be with him most of the time. They wished with all their hearts that they could be there, but they had responsibilities and other small children at their home far, far away.
The little boy was so small and so ill that his bed had bars on it to keep him in place. In his chest, inserted between his ribs, was a tube which was draining fluid to a container on the floor. The little boy cried because he was alone and in terrible pain.
One day, a young, new nurse was assigned to care for the little boy. She had never met him before but she knew that the little boy would not like some of the duties she had to perform that day with him.
The little boy was too young to use an incentive spirometer.* This was a problem because he needed to exercise his lungs with deep breaths. The nurse understood that the little boy would not want to take deep breaths because the illness and tube in his chest made him hurt terribly.
The nurse visited the boy often during the day. Every time she entered the room, the boy’s big brown eyes warily followed her every move from his prison-bed.
She spoke softly to him and even though he was a child, she explained everything she was doing while she performed her tasks.
During one of these visits with the little boy, the nurse decided not to go to lunch. Instead, she lowered the bars on the bed and sat in a chair next to him. She took his little hand and told him a story.
“Once upon a time,” she began softly, “there were three little pigs…”
The little boy seemed to be very interested in the story, so the nurse continued.
Before long, the nurse came to the most important part…
“You have to tell me what the big, bad wolf said,” the nurse told him. “I can’t remember.”
With all the animation he could muster, the little boy loudly recited, “I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blooooooooooow your house down!”
And then the little boy did just that. He showed the nurse how he could huff and puff and blow the house down just as the big, bad wolf had done.
The nurse laughed and gave the little boy a hug. He didn’t know it, but throughout the story, he had done his breathing exercises.
The nurse visited him often over the next few weeks even though he wasn’t always one of her assigned patients. She had learned something very valuable, you see, about taking time with people and communicating with them, no matter their age.
Before long, the boy was well enough to go home. The reunion with his overwrought parents was very emotional but the nurse didn’t cry until she got in her car to go home for the day.
The nurse would never cross paths with the little boy again but she hoped he would live happily ever after.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi

*An incentive spirometer is a plastic device used to measure how deeply you can inhale and helps keep lungs healthy during diseases such as pneumonia. It is also often used after surgery. It helps with slow, deep breathing to fill your lungs with air which can prevent many lung problems.

2018-06-15T12:25:26+00:00

No Comments

1. adwilson1991 May 10, 2016 at 11:41 am - Reply

That was a beautiful short story! Thank you 🙂

2. chealsycat May 10, 2016 at 12:07 pm - Reply

It’s a great story. So kind! The nurse is wonderful.
    I also love the quotation.

3. Lila Remonn May 10, 2016 at 2:57 pm - Reply

That is a lovely short story!

4. raymondsanti May 10, 2016 at 3:24 pm - Reply

That was lovely! Such a nice message as well 🙂

5. Marjorie Watts May 10, 2016 at 4:22 pm - Reply

My mom was a nurse, and the personal rewards were many! As a nurse yourself, I am sure you already knew that. And I have had to use one of those spirometers so often with pneumonia, they actually sent one home with me!!! (I hate it!) Beautiful story! ♥♥

• RosemaryMarie May 10, 2016 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Yeah, we do send those home! lol 🙂 I’m glad you liked my story. <3 Thank you for reading and commenting. 🙂

6. bmitjessesue May 10, 2016 at 8:32 pm - Reply

What a lucky little boy and a lovely little story!

7. Courtney Borror May 10, 2016 at 10:38 pm - Reply

Great story, bestie. I love you and your beautiful heart. You have such a tender, giving, caring spirit. Your love for others runs deep.

• RosemaryMarie May 10, 2016 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Thank you, bestie. I love you, too, and could very well say the same things about you! 🙂

8. lisabeesims May 11, 2016 at 5:15 am - Reply

<3 <3 so sweet!

9. Michele May 12, 2016 at 10:34 am - Reply

Nice! I was hoping I’d see pictures of Sims illustrating the story, though! Here’s a wonderful video I thought you might like:

10. cathytea August 10, 2016 at 11:57 am - Reply

Full of love . ..

11. Jes2G September 13, 2016 at 10:09 pm - Reply

So…**** is really dead then? But… (sigh)

12. lilsapphire February 4, 2017 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Lovely story

13. Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 9:54 am - Reply

Lovely story! May I have the permission to reblog?

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:11 am - Reply

Thank you so much! 🙂 And most certainly! I’m honored that you would like to reblog it. 🙂

• Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 10:19 am - Reply

This doesn’t work. Isn’t your site wordpress?

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:20 am - Reply

Yes, it’s wordpress. I can’t imagine why it’s not working.

• Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 10:21 am

It shows a ‘pinterest’ button instead of the ‘press this’ button I use to reblog other articles.

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:24 am

The Pinterest button is above the Reblog button. I just reblogged this to my own site and it worked. 🙂 I hope you’re able to do it, too. 😀

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:30 am

I should mention that I deleted my reblog, in case you are looking for it on my site. 🙂

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:31 am

I apologize, I didn’t realize I was missing the “Press This” button. It is there now. 🙂

• Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 10:31 am

Nah the reblog button doesn’t do it right on mine. I’ll trying something else.

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:32 am

I just added the Press This button. I didn’t realize it was missing. Sorry for the trouble.

• Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 10:39 am

I just did it the long and hard way. 🙃 It’s fine. I’ll make sure to ask the next person to add the ‘press this’ button incase I can’t find it.

• Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 10:51 am

If you don’t mind, how do you add the ‘press this’ button? I started blogging recently. Haven’t got this figured out all that much yet.

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 11:11 am

I’m so glad you’re blogging as you seem like a very gifted writer! 🙂
            To add the “Press This” button, you must first go to your dashboard (which you get to by this url: https://thediaryofamuslimgirlblog/wp-admin/). Once there, look for the “Settings” tab on the list on the left hand side; it’s toward the bottom. In “Settings” you will find the tab “Sharing.” Click on that and you will be able to drag any of the social media share buttons around in order to add/delete them. 🙂
            I hope that helps.

• Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Wow! That is more than the help I asked for! Thanks a lot! 😇

• RosemaryMarie May 22, 2017 at 9:51 am

You are so welcome! 🙂

14. Nusrath Sariffo'deen May 21, 2017 at 10:17 am - Reply

Reblogged this on The Diary Of A Muslim Girl.

15. RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 10:23 am - Reply

Reblogged this on Noble Doubt.

16. […] Source: The Little Boy & The Nurse […]

17. lostinantiquity May 21, 2017 at 12:33 pm - Reply

Beautiful… btw, are you playing the Sims4? I want it for my birthday. 🙂

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Thank you so much! 🙂
      I do play Sims 4, but what you see on this blog is Sims 3. 🙂 I love those games so much! I hope you get it for your birthday! <3

• lostinantiquity May 21, 2017 at 3:11 pm - Reply

I am trying to play the Sims2 on my Dell but I am running into errors. Grr!

• RosemaryMarie May 22, 2017 at 9:53 am - Reply

I haven’t played Sims 2 in a long time so I don’t remember the ins and outs of that game. Do you use mods or custom content? That could be the problem. 🙂

18. settleinelpaso May 21, 2017 at 12:52 pm - Reply

So touching story it is. Thanks for writing this.

• RosemaryMarie May 21, 2017 at 1:42 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for stopping by, reading and commenting. I’m really glad you liked the story. <3

19. Vinay May 21, 2017 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Amazing!! Surely worth the read. That shows the humility and care. Simply superb!!

20. […] Read it here: The little boy and the nurse […]

21. Vinay May 21, 2017 at 2:42 pm - Reply
  22. joliesattic May 21, 2017 at 3:27 pm - Reply

I loved it and am sending this to my daughter who is in nursing school.

23. Susan May 21, 2017 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Wonderful story! May I repost it?

• RosemaryMarie May 22, 2017 at 9:51 am - Reply

Thank you so much! I would be honored if you did. 🙂

24. Beth May 22, 2017 at 8:48 pm - Reply

So glad to know that you had that opportunity! You will be blessed with sweet dreams.

• RosemaryMarie May 22, 2017 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for your sweet and kind words. <3

25. Jerry Peri May 23, 2017 at 12:57 pm - Reply

So beautiful and touching!!!

26. Prais May 27, 2017 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Short, sweet, informative. Well done!

27. booomcha Turns 2! | booomcha January 16, 2018 at 10:01 am - Reply

[…] of all time are: Chapter 1.1: Dear Diary, I’m Memphis Chapter 1.2: Dear Diary, a Boyfriend? The Little Boy and the Nurse Chapter 1.10: Dear Diary, a Home Makeover Chapter 2.15: Dear J, […]