Better and Free, a Poem

Better and Free

You thought you could betray me
And I guess that was true
I washed you off my body
Like an early morning dew
The plane brought me far away
But still, I was too close
To your evil intentions
And angry, hurtful boasts

Now, I am better and free
And I’ve found someone new
He treats me like a goddess
Which is more than I got from you
The years pass so quickly
The best thing I can do
Is to keep living happily
And forget about you

© Kymber Hawke, 2018.

1-800-799-7233 | 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

2018-08-29T21:54:00+00:00

1. Jowita August 29, 2018 at 10:36 am - Reply

Oh, I can definitely see that poem being very personal for you. You’re such a lovely person, Kym, and I’m glad you’re happy. ♥

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 10:47 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Jowita. <3 I really appreciate it.

2. Marjorie Flo Watts August 29, 2018 at 10:39 am - Reply

I am constantly amazed at how many people live with domestic violence every day, and most seem to just accept it! Good poem, and it may give someone a push to improve their life by recognizing it is a real problem they can walk away from before it’s too late! My good friend and neighbor waited too long. =(

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

Thank you, Marj. 🙂 I’m sorry to hear that about your neighbor. There are so many reasons why the person being abused seems to accept that fate. The person may be denying to themselves that it’s happening, or they are embarrassed and don’t want anyone to know. Maybe they don’t know how to get out safely. It’s a real mess.

3. Invisibly Me August 29, 2018 at 10:58 am - Reply

Raw and poignant, you’ve done very well with this as I can appreciate the personal nature. Such strength behind it too, especially the final 3 lines  ♥
    Caz x

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 11:05 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Caz. <3 I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

4. raymondsanti August 29, 2018 at 12:56 pm - Reply

This is beautiful and very meaningful, thank you for sharing ❤️

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Raymond. <3

5. Sherri Bartlett August 29, 2018 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Lovely!

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, my lovely cousin! 🙂

6. lazysunjade August 29, 2018 at 4:42 pm - Reply

Very beautiful and spoken from the heart. I think there are very few people in this world domestic violence has not touched in some way. Very relatable, unfortunately. Thank you for sharing =)

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Jade. 🙂 I agree with you one hundred percent.

7. Courtney August 29, 2018 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Beautiful, bestie. Just like you.

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, bestie. 🙂 That is kind of you to say.

8. Jes2G August 29, 2018 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Gaaaah! I love this and you know why! <3

• Kymber August 29, 2018 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Jes 🙂 Yes, I know why <3

9. NotJustaBook August 30, 2018 at 9:17 am - Reply

This is a very well done, poem, Kym. It’s true, the best “revenge” is living well 🙂 Hugs to you!

• Kymber August 30, 2018 at 10:12 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Louise. 🙂 I’m glad you liked it.

10. bmitjessesue August 30, 2018 at 9:45 am - Reply

Ditto to all the comments left above, but especially to NotJustaBook! very well said.

• Kymber August 30, 2018 at 10:13 am - Reply

Thank you, Bee. 🙂

11. magpie14031983 September 8, 2018 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Lovely, and very insightful. You really have a way with words. It’s a gift!

• Kymber September 8, 2018 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, mags. That means a lot to me. <3

• magpie14031983 September 9, 2018 at 4:24 am - Reply

❤ quick question: did my comments come through on the other post? It was “awaiting moderation” and Louise said I ended up in her Spam folder so I’m hoping that didn’t happen again 😲😕

• Kymber September 9, 2018 at 11:15 am - Reply

I’m not sure why they were in moderation when you’ve had comments here before. At least you weren’t in my spam folder. Regardless, they are approved and responded to now. haha 😀 Thank you so much for your kind comments. I really enjoy them.

• magpie14031983 September 9, 2018 at 11:59 am

I’m thinking it might be because I’m usually commenting from the Reader and those were on the site proper? But, I was logged in so who knows lol WP amirite!!

• Kymber September 10, 2018 at 9:15 am