The Inheritance (3): The Ridley Case, con’t. con’t.

Marty spent the afternoon exploring the house. Everywhere she turned, there were more staircases leading to even more hallways lined with rooms. Each hallway was the same as the last, making her wonder if anyone ever got turned around and lost.

It amazed her that anyone should live in a house like this. Was it once full of life with parties and guests? She could easily imagine the life this house once witnessed. Now it only seemed a shell of its former self.

Leaning over the railing, she realized she was overlooking the massive foyer where they had entered the mansion the night before. What seemed like only moments before, she’d been looking down at an enormous ballroom. If she closed her eyes, she could almost hear the orchestra playing as masked guests danced and champagne corks popped.

How grand this ghastly house must have been at one time. Xalen told Marty how old Mr. Ridley’s father had built this house high upon the cliffs of Fortress Rock. Prior to the mansion, an abandoned garrison had stood on this spot. There had been a monarchy then and this had been the perfect spot for a fort because it could only be approached on one side.

Quite suddenly, Marty’s heart began beating faster and the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She shivered and could see her breath. Knowing what this meant, she willed herself to stay calm and still. It wasn’t but a moment later when an apparition slowly became visible…

Before dinner, the team met up in the ballroom to discuss their findings thus far. As Rosetta told the others about her experience with Clara, the others looked on in fascination.

“Clara is an apparition?” Marty gasped.

Rosetta nodded. “It is she who does not want the house to be sold or to have Mrs. Ridley’s belongings moved. Mr. Ridley cannot see Clara, although he noticed items out of place throughout the house. She, of course, is responsible for that.”

As her daughter spoke, Marty went back to when they’d first met Clara and replayed in her mind everything she had done and said. Now that Marty thought about it in more detail, Clara had been opinionated about Mrs. Ridley’s things and the house but Marty hadn’t realized she was a ghostly apparition. Why was Clara so different from the other ghosts she had seen?

Clara added to the conversations they’d had but Marty now realized that every time Clara spoke, Mr. Ridley had not acknowledged her. He was unaware of her presence. At least that’s what made sense to Marty.

“I have something to tell you,” Marty said. “There is another presence in the house but it’s very weak. I could barely make out any features.”

“Do you know who it is?” Xalen asked.

Marty shook her head and cleared her throat. “I haven’t any idea. Why do you suppose Clara looks so… filled out but this other apparition was so weak that I could barely see it?”

“I’m not sure,” Daniel said. “I”m going to try to get some EVP readings tonight. Maybe your apparition has something to say.”

“Wait,” Susan said, “why don’t you ask Clara who the other presence is?”

“That’s exactly what we should do,” Shelly said. “I saw the same thing Marty did when we first got here. Whoever this other being is, I believe they aren’t strong enough to fully manifest.”

“Meaning what exactly?” Rosetta asked. “How does a specter gain strength?”

“It lures people to where it is and sucks the energy off of them,” Owen said while cringing.

“I don’t like that sound of that at all.”

Daniel smiled reassuringly at his wife and squeezed her hand. “Relax, it doesn’t hurt.”

“But will we miss the energy it sucks?”

Shrugging a little, he attempted another smile. “I’ve never noticed.”

“That’s because you’re not psychic. Besides, it may have lured us here using Mr. Ridley, however, it isn’t going to suck the energy from us.”

“No, it will harness our energy to gain strength. The more attention we give it, the better,” Xalen explained.

“All right, where do we begin?” Susan asked.

Xalen and Shelly shared a knowing look…

… as the piano began to play an eerrie tune.

Author’s Note: Next Wednesday, I’ll be posting an interview with young adult author Marie Landry! I’m really excited to share what she has to say about the craft of writing. I hope you will enjoy it.

Stay tuned because the finale of this story in The Inheritance is coming up!

As always, thank you for reading and for your support,

2018-09-01T12:40:47+00:00

1. lifeslemonslegacy July 11, 2018 at 10:41 am - Reply

Spooky! I wonder who or what the presence is… Can’t wait to find out!

• Kymber July 11, 2018 at 10:47 am - Reply

Thank you so much! πŸ˜€ I can’t wait for you to find out.

2. NotJustaBook July 11, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

Oh, I wonder who the other apparition is. Can’t wait to read more πŸ™‚

• Kymber July 11, 2018 at 10:57 am - Reply

Thank you, Louise. πŸ™‚

3. audreyfld July 11, 2018 at 11:11 am - Reply

This is fun and scary! Haha!

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:06 am - Reply

Thank you, Audrey! <3

4. bmitjessesue July 11, 2018 at 11:34 am - Reply

How exciting that would be just to explore that house, let alone walk into what Marty did! Although I’m not liking the idea of taking energy..yikes.

So excited to find out who the “other” could be and what they will do for Clara!

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:07 am - Reply

Thank you, Bee πŸ˜€ I would love to explore that house, too. The finale is coming up soon!

5. loladiamond01 July 11, 2018 at 12:24 pm - Reply

The whole taking energy thing sounds really scary. Bet we’re going to find out who the other apparition is soon! Could that be Mrs. Ridley?

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:07 am - Reply

Thank you, Jowita. πŸ™‚ That’s a great guess! πŸ˜€

Are you home from Russia now? Did you have a good time?

• loladiamond01 July 13, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

I’m returning tomorrow. Running on the faint hotel Wi-Fi now. But yes, I had a good time.

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 12:27 pm - Reply

I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed your trip. Safe travels home.

6. Violincat July 11, 2018 at 3:17 pm - Reply

It could me Mrs. Ridley. But things sure are getting spooky.

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:08 am - Reply

Thank you so much πŸ™‚ Yes, it very well could be. I like spooky! lol

7. raymondsanti July 11, 2018 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Oooh I agree that it could be Mrs. Ridley, although that might be too obvious lol. I’m on the edge of my seat wondering about what to do with Clara!

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:09 am - Reply

Thank you so much πŸ™‚ I can’t wait for the finale! I had this all in two posts and it was sooooo long, so there will be a finale coming up soon. πŸ™‚

8. Lila Remonn July 11, 2018 at 8:36 pm - Reply

Oooh I wonder who the apparition is! Maybe Mrs. Ridley? And the thing about Clara… is she a scepter? Can she draw energy off people or possibly other ghosts?

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:10 am - Reply

Thank you, Lila! πŸ™‚ It very well could be Mrs. Ridley. πŸ˜€ That’s a really good question about Clara, too. The finale is coming up very soon.

9. maidenlissasims July 12, 2018 at 1:17 am - Reply

Awesome! You always leave me wanting more lol. This house inspired me though. I’ve been working on building everything from the ground up in my Sims 4 game, and I haven’t made any big houses yet. Love it!

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:11 am - Reply

Hi there! Thank you so much! You’re so kind. πŸ™‚ This house is crazy big! lol It’s been a lot of fun to play. Best wishes for your Sims 4 building! That sounds like fun.

10. sempreviva July 12, 2018 at 6:14 am - Reply

Oooh this is so spooky! I love it!
    I also think the other apparition could be Mrs Ridley, but then again, you always seem to surprise us πŸ˜‰ Can’t wait to read the finale! πŸ˜€

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:24 am - Reply

Thank you πŸ˜€ I’m glad you think it’s spooky! haha It very well could be Mrs. Ridley. I can’t wait to post the finale!

11. Jes2G July 12, 2018 at 9:03 am - Reply

I knew in the first chapter Clara was the one moving stuff and spraying perfume everywhere. Of course, I didn’t think she’d be a ghost lol.

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:27 am - Reply

LOL Thank you, Jess. πŸ˜€ Yeah, I figured you knew that. I think you even said something to me about that. πŸ˜€

• Jes2G July 13, 2018 at 11:45 am - Reply

I probably did lol. Can’t wait to wrap this thing up.

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 12:28 pm - Reply

LOL πŸ˜€ Yes, it’s time to know everything that is happening.

• Jes2G July 13, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Weeeee!

12. Simsophonique July 12, 2018 at 2:57 pm - Reply

An other presence that sucks energy of Alive people? Fascinating.

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:30 am - Reply

Thank you! I’m so glad you liked it. πŸ˜€

• Simsophonique July 13, 2018 at 7:03 pm - Reply

I like the Inheritance story so much, because that’s paranormal and you don’t turn Mediums as ridiculous quite a contrary.

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Thank you. I’m so glad you like The Inheritance. I will keep trying to do a good job with it. πŸ˜€

• Simsophonique July 16, 2018 at 9:26 am

It required a lot of imagination I don’t know how this case will finish and the others one ahaha will be however they’ll fun to read. I am not a legalicy player, I read a handle of . I just noticed they are generations that worths more to be focused on .

• Kymber July 16, 2018 at 10:58 am

Let’s hope my imagination keeps on going. LOL

• Simsophonique July 17, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Sometimes our Muses are angry with us I agree but the game has so much treasures to have new ideas.

• Kymber July 18, 2018 at 12:11 pm

This is very true! It’s one of the reasons I really love SimLit. The game gives me ideas that I never considered.

• Simsophonique July 18, 2018 at 12:32 pm

It needs to push us out of confort zone really !

• Kymber July 18, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Yes, that is a good point! πŸ™‚

13. Rosie July 12, 2018 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Oh, another exciting post! I can’t wait for the next update of this. πŸ˜€

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 11:36 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Rosie πŸ™‚ I’m glad you thought it was exciting. I can’t wait for you to see the finale.

14. heatherfeather19 July 13, 2018 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Dunno if you’ve seen it but Marty’s thoughts about the mansion reminds me of that scene from Anastasia with her imagining a ball and dancing. XD

Could the other spirit be Mrs Ridley? It doesn’t seem aggressive, although I agree with Susan that giving your energy to an apparition does seem scary.

• Kymber July 13, 2018 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Oh wow! I haven’t seen Anatasia for a long time so I didn’t put it together. That’s cool πŸ˜€

You just might be right about it being Mrs. Ridley. I wonder if it will be nice or aggressive if it gets some power to fully manifest? :O

15. liesemietze July 13, 2018 at 8:01 pm - Reply

It is certainly a less unpleasant feeling to encounter the presence of ghosts as a group than as a lonely resident.
    In the first case it is more like exciting, in the second case rather more like scary.
    I could imagine that the second Presence may be a child.
    Fortress Rock is great, just like all the worlds Quailhogs created.
    He created a cornucopia for storytellers. My favorite was Grey Meadow.

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 3:39 pm - Reply

Thank you so much πŸ™‚ I totally agree with you about encountering ghosts as a group as opposed to being by yourself. lol

Oh, Quailhogs is amazing! Fortress Rock has been one of my favorite worlds for a long time. I’ve always wanted to do my story here.

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 3:44 pm - Reply

I’m looking up Grey Meadow right now. πŸ˜€ I’ll probably start a save there.

16. freja64 July 15, 2018 at 12:20 am - Reply

Hah! I was so excited to get some answers in this chapter, and I’m more clueless than ever! Next chapter, please! πŸ™‚

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 5:06 pm - Reply

LOL It won’t be out this Wed but probably next Wed. I’m working on it. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ I’m glad you like the story.

• freja64 July 15, 2018 at 6:46 pm - Reply

It’s always fun with a mystery πŸ™‚

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 7:37 pm - Reply

YAY! I’m so glad!

17. lisabeesims July 15, 2018 at 4:08 am - Reply

<3 <3 Marty is so adorable .. <3 loving the mystery!

• Kymber July 15, 2018 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Thank you. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I think I will always love Marty. <3 πŸ˜€

• lisabeesims July 16, 2018 at 12:38 am - Reply

They are a perfect couple

• Kymber July 16, 2018 at 10:43 am - Reply

Thank you. I love them, too. <3

• lisabeesims July 16, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Way back in the day (story wise) i was worried they would not work it out <3 I was so glad when they did

• Kymber July 16, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I’m glad it worked out the way you wanted it to. πŸ˜€ <3

• lisabeesims July 16, 2018 at 5:42 pm

He he he me too

Hi, my name is Kymber but you may know me by my pseudonym, Rosemary Castevet. I’m an author, simmer, Registered Nurse, Judy Garland devoteeΒ and horror buff. Did I mention I’m currently owned by Cesare the cat? On top of all of that, I’m a redheaded INFJ who is also a vegan.