Featured Author: An Interview with … uh … Me!

Happy Wednesday, friends! A few weeks ago when I posted Stephanie’s interview, some of you asked me to fill out my interview questions. So, here I bring you an interview of me! lol

1. How long have you been playing The Sims and what got you into it? I’ve been playing The Sims since July 23, 2014. Prior to that date, I’d been a very active, busy registered nurse. When I began having some health problems, my son saw how bored I was and he suggested I might find The Sims entertaining. Sims 4 hadn’t come out yet but was about to. Regardless, I bought The Sims 3. I couldn’t believe how much fun it is to decorate houses and digitally sculpt sims. So. Much. Fun.

2. Why did you begin blogging your sims story? I began blogging my first sims story in 2014 on Weebly which I liked very much. I was always interested in writing and found it therapeutic. Later, when my save was completely destroyed (I didn’t know how to make backups then, lol 😛 – I’ve come a long way!), I quit blogging for a while. Once I got my new gaming laptop for Christmas 2015, Bee suggested starting a story again, which I did that very night. I’m really glad I made the move to WordPress because the reader seems to make all the difference in the world and I’ve met such nice people in this community.

3. How do you come up with your story ideas? Sometimes, I will be people watching and make up a story for the person I’ve noticed. Other times, it comes to me when I’m sleeping or when I just wake up. Stories hit me at the weirdest times. I like to remind family/friends that whatever they say may be used in a story!

4. Do your sims actions help create new ideas or make the story go in a different direction then you had intended? My story is both plot-driven and game driven; heavier on the plot-driven side, I’d say, though. One thing I love is when I have a plot and then something happens in game that completely changes what I thought I was going to do. By allowing my game some of the control, I have a lot more fun when I’m writing. I think it enhances the ideas I have.

5. Which character is your favorite and why? I like all my characters for different reasons, even the devilish ones. Keniesha, though, was my favorite because I felt like I had such a clear picture of who she was. Whenever I wrote her, the words flooded out of me. In a way, after I began writing Noble Doubt, I was a bit disappointed she was not my founder. lol.

6. What chapter has been the most difficult to write so far, and why? I think any chapter that has taxed me emotionally has been the most difficult. Examples would be during the aftermath when Jilly died. I remember how emotionally exhausted I was after getting those chapters out. Other chapters had the same effect on me such as Holden’s shooting, Marty’s abuse, Blue’s heartache that led her to run away, etc.

7. Is there anything you wish was different about your story? There are so many things I wish were different! If I was writing a book, there is no way I would pound out a chapter a week! I would be much more careful, it would definitely take me longer and be more detailed. I work best with a deadline, though, so there you go. I wish I could change the chapters that aren’t written very well – there are a lot of them. lol I’m a work in progress, folks!

8. Do you have advice for any other writers who may just be starting out? I would say the same things almost everyone who has answered this question would say… write, write, write! And read, too. A lot. 😀 No matter what level writer you are, or think you are, keep writing because it will improve. Use editors like Hemingway or other online apps. A lot of them are free and helpful. If you’re ready to pay for a good app, I would suggest Pro Writing Aid. It is amazing. Also, don’t get discouraged, and never, ever compare yourself to another writer. I repeat: NEVER, EVER COMPARE YOURSELF TO ANOTHER WRITER! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been disappointed with my writing after doing that. Just, don’t. 😀 Okay, I’m done shouting now. 😂

9. What are the challenges of bringing your characters to life? The challenge is real. What I think is important is to have characters who are believable. I’ve failed at this many times, but all I can do is keep trying. To me, a believable character is neither good nor bad, they are a little of both just like us. They make mistakes, they try to fix them, they win and they fail. They have a backstory even if you never write what that is in the actual story you’re writing. They’ve been places, done things. There are reasons why certain things bother them or why they are passionate about something. If you write a good, well-rounded character, your readers will cheer for them and cry for them, too.

10. Do you proofread/edit all your own writings or do you get someone to do that for you? I proofread my works but Bee edits my blog writings. She is kind to do so and should be a professional editor if you ask me! She is incredible and has a way of pulling more emotion out of me and into my writing. There is nothing I would do here without her input, believe me. When writing professionally, my editor is named Cynthia. She is amazing and I’ve worked with her for many years on different projects. I use beta readers also with novel rough drafts. They are invaluable.

You never know, I might put up an announcement one day asking for beta readers and I hope you’ll volunteer and tell me what you like and hate. LOL

Author’s Note: I reckon I don’t need to put a link to my site here. LOL 😂

If you are a blog author (it does not have to be The Sims related) and would like to be featured in an interview, please send me an email using my contact form! I would love to interview you, too!

2018-10-01T13:14:33+00:00

1. audreyfld October 3, 2018 at 10:14 am - Reply

I loved hearing from you about you! ❤️ Thinking about Jilly, I cried for many, many chapters after she died. And I do root for your characters too! I am rooting so hard for Holden right now, it hurts! I am so afraid for him and want him to be truly happy again.

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:19 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Audrey. 🙂 I’m so glad you feel the characters are worth rooting for. ❤ I remember how you reacted to Jilly’s death and I felt so bad. As for Holden, something may be happening with him in the next chapter… ❤😲

2. Kaye Spencer October 3, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

As someone who knows close to nothing about The Sims and even less about gaming, I learned a great deal about both from your interview. Thank you for this peek into your creative world.

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:20 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Kaye. I’m glad you liked the interview and I appreciate your kind words a great deal. 🙂

3. Jowita October 3, 2018 at 11:18 am - Reply

Yes, I’m so happy that this was finally done!
    I love your writing, Kymber, and I’m so glad I got to meet you and be your reader. I can tell that some chapters had a huge emotional impact on you, because I felt so bad reading them, also (because the writing was so good). Oh, do you have chapters that are not well-written? Can’t believe! 😀 Thank you so much for sharing your story with us ♥

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Jowita. ❤ You are too kind. 🙂 I appreciate you so much and admire you, too. I’m beyond thrilled you like the story and my writing so much.

4. Marjorie Flo Watts October 3, 2018 at 12:21 pm - Reply

My only complaint about your writing – your chapters go by too fast!!! And then the week of waiting goes by too slowly! Just no pleasing some people, right??? =D Hugs!!

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:23 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Marj. And thank you for that yummy coffee you sent to me as well. You are truly a gem. ❤ Sending you hugs and love.

5. freja64 October 3, 2018 at 12:22 pm - Reply

So instructive! It was really enlightening to read about yourself, for once! And your advice is always welcome! 🙂

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:23 am - Reply

Thank you so much, freja ❤ I really didn’t think I had anything to say when I was asked to answer these. lol I’m so glad you liked it.

• freja64 October 5, 2018 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Lol! It’s hard to talk about oneself, but catharctic!

6. cathytea October 3, 2018 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Thanks for doing this ! I loved your answers !

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:24 am - Reply

Thank you, CT ❤ I’m so glad you liked it.

7. alyssasimmers October 3, 2018 at 1:54 pm - Reply

You remind me so much of myself. I don’t compare my writing to other, but I do doubt myself ALOT! I’m lucky enough to have some great friends pull me through! I love to write! Sometimes I just want fanmade Youtube videos and get ideas for stories. Yesterday I was driving to the gas station and got hit with an idea. I always carry a notebook with me so if that ever happens I can write it down once I’ve stopped somewhere. I have played The Sims since Febuary 2013, and started my own blog October 2013. I’m not writing a manuscript of my sims story for a publisher. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he or she will fall in love with it! Thank You so much for publishing your interview. It’s really nice to see another writer encourage others to keep going with what they love the most and who shares the passion for writing!

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:29 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Alyssa ❤ We do sound alike, don’t we? lol The passion for writing is there and I think our friends make all the difference in alleviating all the self-doubt.

Story ideas can come out of the most unusual places, can’t they? I carry a notebook, too!

Thank you again for your kind words and encouragement. I appreciate it so much.

8. bmitjessesue October 3, 2018 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Thank you for such compliments and using some of my poses in you featured pics on the side! I very much enjoy editing your chapters, mostly for purely selfish reasons all around. You know I am always there to read anything you write, no matter what fashion!

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:30 am - Reply

Thank you, Bee. It’s all true, it’s all true. 🙂 Oh, yes, I used the poses because I think a lot of my best pics were taken using them. lol

I can’t thank you enough for everything you do. ❤

• bmitjessesue October 4, 2018 at 6:13 pm - Reply

That is very kind and you are welcome. I have the most fun making a pose when I know it’s for you!

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 8:34 pm - Reply

I’m so glad to hear that. xo

9. raymondsanti October 3, 2018 at 10:25 pm - Reply

It was wonderful to hear more about you and the thought process behind your writing! Characters are such an essential oart of the story and yours are always so well written, I really feel for them when they go through tough times. Just goes to show how much I love your story ❤️

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:36 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Raymond. 🙂 I’m so glad you think my characters are well-written. I work on them so much but a lot of times, I feel like I miss the mark. I think maybe all writers feel that way sometimes, I don’t know. 🙂 I’m also so glad you love the story. It means a great deal to me. ❤

10. NotJustaBook October 4, 2018 at 12:03 am - Reply

It was great to read more about your and your writing process 🙂 <3

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:37 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Louise. ❤ I’m glad you liked it.

11. velikosmijanje October 4, 2018 at 2:27 am - Reply

I loved reading this interview with you! Such interesting things and good advice! You are a great writer and I love your blog and your sims <3

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:37 am - Reply

Thank you so much ❤ You are so kind and encouraging. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you.

12. Lila Remonn October 4, 2018 at 2:47 am - Reply

Oh, I don’t think my comment went through… if it did, please ignore this one haha.
    This was a really interesting and wonderful interview! You are one of my fave writers (and people!) in this community and it was great reading your thoughts on writing.

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 10:40 am - Reply

LOL I didn’t find your first comment, so I reckon it’s floating around, lost, in cyberspace somewhere. 🤪

You’re words are so kind and it means so much to me. You were the very first commenter on this blog! Numero uno! 😀 I love this community so much and feel much the same way about you and your writing.

13. Jes2G October 4, 2018 at 8:27 pm - Reply

It’s about time you answered these questions! LOL, I think Keniesha has been your strongest character yet! She was so well done and always stays in my memory. And that darn comparison trap!!

• Kymber October 4, 2018 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Thank you so much. 🙂 Yeah, Keniesha was my “it” girl. lol I had such a fondness for her and a lot of her personality came from how she acted. She was always wagging that finger at Memphis… and everybody. lol 😀

Yes! I’m trying very hard to remember my own advice. lol

14. lisabeesims October 6, 2018 at 2:19 am - Reply

I knew the answer before I rad it (on which was the hardest chapter to write) .. this is awesome advice <3 Your question prompted me to sit back and ask myself who was my fav character .. I struggled between 2 but landed on Blue. <3

• Kymber October 6, 2018 at 9:03 pm - Reply

LOL Thank you, Lisa! 🙂 I love that your favorite character is Blue. She has such a different kind of story on the island without modern amenities. It was fun to write her.

• lisabeesims October 6, 2018 at 11:48 pm - Reply

The one that I had to wrestle with placing And who ended up second was Xalen

• Kymber October 7, 2018 at 10:41 am - Reply

Awww… sweet Xalen. I am so glad he made second. 😀

• lisabeesims October 7, 2018 at 12:55 pm

His manner reminds me so much of Audrey’s Leroy. I like the solid guy kind of thing that they are LOL

• Kymber October 7, 2018 at 1:36 pm

I can see that now that you mention it. I like that kind of guy, too.

• lisabeesims October 7, 2018 at 4:00 pm

<3 <3

15. sempreviva October 8, 2018 at 5:37 am - Reply

This was so nice and interesting to read! I totally agree about Keniesha, she was one of my favorite characters from your story too (and I can relate with what you’re saying about her words flooding out of you – I had the same thing happen to me with Jared, lmaooo)! Great advice that one should never compare him/herself with another writer. I have done that and always ended up feeling awful – and then I realized that I’m me and them are well, them. No point in comparing – there are so many writing styles in the world! 😀 The only one worth comparing with is our previous selves I think – always find a way to improve 🙂
    I really enjoyed reading this interview! <3

• Kymber October 9, 2018 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Thank you so much. 🙂 I’m glad you enjoyed it. Wasn’t Keniesha just the best? It makes me want to play her all over again. lol Jared was like that, too? So cool! Oh, how I love what you said there about comparing yourself to your previous self. That’s right! 😀

Privacy & Cookies: Booomcha.com uses cookies to improve your user experience. If you continue browsing, we assume that you consent to our use of cookies. Close & Accept