Chapter 1.3: Dear Diary, My Bad News

Entry 3:

You know, diary… erm journal… I wasn’t always like this. Yes, it’s true that I valued books higher than most people and that I’ve always been socially awkward, but I haven’t always lacked such confidence in myself.

Keniesha is always saying I need a boost in my self-esteem. Well, no joke. But even she knows, it wasn’t so low until our parents died.

We were sitting on the couch again and talking about them. It was almost like they were in the room.

I’m not going to bore you with a bunch of poor me’s. The fact is, I don’t remember anything about my birth parents and I had a great childhood.

There I go, tearing up again as I think about how close I was to them. Especially to my dad. He was there for me in every way a little girl needs a father. He went out of his way to make me feel like I was just as important as Keniesha.

My parents loved each other and their children dearly. Honestly, I think it did something to my heart when they died. It’s never felt the same since.

Often times, I feel like I can still hear their footsteps in the hallway or their voices speaking tenderly to each other. But I’m not crazy; Keniesha says sometimes she can hear them, too. She doesn’t believe in ghosts. She says when we hear them it’s because we want them here with us so badly.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, but daddy’s smile could light up the entire room. I mean, look at that! How could you not smile back at him? How could anyone ever be sad?

Don’t get me wrong. My mom was a great person, too. She was pretty, kind and loving. She was the stricter of the two, but she still had a soft heart for her children.

11.jpg

So, back to the couch where Keniesha and I were pretty much every night before bed. We liked to chat and eat ice cream or sometimes we’d just talk about our day. She said she had something important she needed to talk to me about.

“I’m not trying to be blunt, but I just don’t know what to do,” she said. “Our jobs just aren’t enough to stay in this house. It was okay for a while because we had the trust fund, but I’ve been doing the math and it’s just not going to be possible. We’re going to have to make plans to move.”

I felt like a spear had been driven through my heart. It kept me impaled and I couldn’t catch my breath.

“I know you just got out of high school and I’m so thankful this didn’t happen before you graduated because you had enough to deal with. There’s just no putting it off any longer. I’m not moving up the career ladder very fast, and you’re only starting out.”

I closed my eyes, willing this problem to go away. But, you know, that never works.

“Are you going to say anything? Are you mad at me?”

“Oh, I’m mad all right! But not with you,” I fumed. Why was this happening? I finally caught my breath but now I just wanted to punch something. Where was that Garret Covington guy when I needed him?

“I’m really sorry this is happening. I’d give anything if it weren’t. But the fact is, we’re just going to have to get through this and stay strong. It will be okay.”

I wished I could muster up the same resolve she had.

I thought about us as children again, standing in this very room and a faint smile came over my face. Maybe we would be all right. But I would miss the memories here so much. How could I possibly leave this behind and live somewhere else? My head began to pound and my heart ached again.

“I know this is a shock and I don’t want to move either. I’m really sorry, Sis.”

“I’m not angry with you, honest. I know you’ve worked really hard to make ends meet. I guess I just didn’t realize it was coming to this.”

“What’s that little smile for?” she asked.

“I was thinking about how much fun it was here, growing up with you.” She laughed a little and I continued, “You always had a plan for fun!”

She laughed more now. “Oh, I remember! I led you to a lot of trouble!”

We sat for a few minutes in silence, each lost in our own thoughts of the past.

Finally, Keniesha said, “Hey, I know it’s cliché, but it’s also true. We’ll be okay as long as we stick together.”

I nodded in agreement. “Yeah. We’ll be okay.”

How could I say anything different to her when it was clear she felt so badly about it? She was always so good to me. The last thing I wanted was to be any sort of burden to her.

I had to get out of there for a while. Keniesha was off to work anyway. I had the day off. For once, I wished I had to work, too, because I think it would have helped getting my mind off of our troubles.

I went to a different beach then where I had met Liev. I wanted to be alone. I wasn’t much of the crying type, so I decided I’d read.

It was not my day, though. That vile man Garret had come there, too. I saw him and turned my back, continuing to read. Maybe he would walk past me. But he didn’t do that.

I straightened my back as he approached. Why in the world would he want to talk to me, of all people?

He seemed uncharacteristically bashful. “Hi, Memphis.”

“Hi,” I snapped. I was not in the mood to take any of this guy’s crap.

“Hey,” I continued, surprised by my by my own tone of voice. (I didn’t know I could sound so snotty.) “Does your grandpa know you raided his closet? I mean, who wears a sweater vest and tie to the beach?”

He winced. “I thought you might still be pissed about that.”

“Well, I guess I didn’t hit you hard enough because here you are, talking to me.”

“What can I do to make it up to you? You cannot believe how sorry I am.”

He seemed sincere, but I couldn’t be one hundred percent sure about that. “You could leave me alone for starters.”

“Are you trying to break my heart?”

Are you kidding me? I thought to myself.

“How could I possibly break your heart?” There was no way I was falling for a stupid line like that. “There is no way I could mean anything to you.”

“I know that I really like you and that I was a total idiot at your party. There’s no excuse for it. I’m just really hoping you’ll give me another chance.”

I squinted my eyes and wrinkled my nose as I thought about it.

“Come on,” he said with a winning smile, flashing those amazing teeth. “I promise I won’t insult you, yell at you, or do anything to make you hit me again.”

I forgot myself and laughed. “Okay, okay, maybe dinner.”

His smile widened. “Great! Tomorrow night, 7 p.m. I’ll pick you up.”

I nodded despite myself and the fact that just a couple hours ago, I wanted to hit him again, even harder than I had the first time.

After he left, I was alone again. Slowly, I began to remember that I hated Garret’s guts.

Good gravy! How did this happen? And could I get out of it?

2016-01-25T10:00:00+00:00

No Comments

1. Lila Remonn January 25, 2016 at 2:36 pm - Reply

Oh no! Memphis, whyyyyyy??? That boy is clearly being fake. Don’t let yourself caught up in trouble! *covers eyes with hands*
    Btw, Memphis as a kid was super cute.

• RosemaryMarie January 25, 2016 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Thanks! 😀 I wonder what trouble is heading her way? lol 🙂

2. babay_j January 26, 2016 at 9:02 pm - Reply

I love your beautiful sims♥! I hope Memphis keeps on her toes with this jerk. Maybe he needs someone like her to cool his attitude, but I would rather see her being bolstered by Liev. He, at least seems sincere! Hmmm.

• RosemaryMarie January 27, 2016 at 9:18 am - Reply

Thank you so much! We’ll see what happens. lol 😀

3. Echo Weaver February 14, 2016 at 10:57 pm - Reply

This was so moving! Memphis and Keneisha are such vivid characters. I could really feel how lost Memphis was to face moving out of the home she grew up in.

And Garret… he seems really dangerous. Either that or he has a major problem with his image.

• RosemaryMarie February 15, 2016 at 8:13 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Echo! I’m so glad you’re reading! 🙂

4. Moon in Capricorn April 9, 2016 at 9:05 am - Reply

Interesting little twist, but I’m not buying Garret’s “nice guy” act LOL. It will be interesting to see what happens!

• RosemaryMarie April 9, 2016 at 9:11 am - Reply

You’re probably right to be cautious! 😀 Thank you for reading and commenting!

5. Michele April 25, 2016 at 5:50 pm - Reply

You captured some wonderful expressions on all of your characters! Mom and Dad were so realistic looking, as well as expressive in Memphis’ memories! Her relationship with Garrett may work out well on many levels…I’ll just have to read on to find out!

6. Jes2G September 7, 2016 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Your art work is awesome. I love the sisters’ relationship.

• RosemaryMarie September 7, 2016 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Awww thank you. I love their relationship, too. I say it all the time but Keniesha is my all time favorite sim. 😀

• Jes2G September 7, 2016 at 9:12 pm - Reply

I can see why!

7. thymelesslegacies September 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Memphis, he drew you into those big eyes of his and played you like a fiddle =p Poor girls, having to move out 🙁 I hope they’ll be able to bring enough things from the old place with them to the new to make it feel like home soon.

• RosemaryMarie September 12, 2016 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Thank you! 🙂 And you are so right about how Memphis got played like a fiddle. lol

8. hafuhga December 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Wow! Both parents are such lovely sims! The way they smile is amazing. Bitter is only that Memphis seams to fall for Gareth… how can she? So fast? That were also bad news!!!

• RosemaryMarie December 12, 2016 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Thank you so much! 🙂 Yes, that’s bad news all right. I think she regrets saying yes to the date, just a little. 😀

9. Shannon SimsFan January 16, 2017 at 7:49 pm - Reply

I definitely do not trust Garrett; I doubt that he has really re-evaluated his sense of entitlement (no one tells me no!)

• RosemaryMarie January 17, 2017 at 8:04 am - Reply

Hello and thank you for reading/commenting! 🙂 You are so right to feel that way about Garret.

10. joliesattic March 2, 2017 at 1:01 am - Reply

Very good. Are you doing the animation as well?

• RosemaryMarie March 2, 2017 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Thank you so much 🙂 I’m illustrating from the Sims I’ve created in my Sims game. I did create them and design how they look. 🙂

• joliesattic March 2, 2017 at 5:14 pm - Reply

My son was doing a course in animation but unfortunately dropped out.

• RosemaryMarie March 2, 2017 at 9:26 pm - Reply

That sounds really interesting! Perhaps your son will pick it up again at a later time. 🙂

• joliesattic March 3, 2017 at 12:00 am

That would be nice. My cousin worked for Disney, in animation at one time and that was cool. I think Ian used Sim as well, but I’m not certain.

• RosemaryMarie March 3, 2017 at 4:49 am

Wow! Working for Disney in animation would be so cool! What a dream 🙂

• joliesattic March 4, 2017 at 12:05 am

It was while it lasted. It was what he had always wanted too. But he suddenly developed Parkinson’s and the shakes got too bad. He can still draw, but not the fine detail he had to before. Believe it or not, not all their animators are digital.

• RosemaryMarie March 4, 2017 at 10:04 am

I love Disney animation. 🙂 It’s such a shame he developed Parkinson’s. What a horrible disease. I bet his drawings are amazing. <3

• joliesattic March 4, 2017 at 5:45 pm

They definitely are.

11. lovesstorms April 11, 2017 at 11:53 pm - Reply

That boy is trying to win you over, Memphis. Your gut is right. Go smack him and break his heart–fake heart, that is. 🙂

• RosemaryMarie April 12, 2017 at 9:22 am - Reply

Right? She definitely got caught up in the moment, I’d say. She should probably stick with what her instinct is telling her. 🙂

12. semprevivasims3 May 23, 2017 at 8:38 am - Reply

Hmmm… I’m not sure Memphis should trust this Garett guy, but on the other hand I’m a sucker for romance and drama, so I’m going to enjoy this while it lasts lol <3

• RosemaryMarie May 23, 2017 at 8:47 am - Reply

hahaha! 😀 Thank you! I’m a sucker for romance and drama, too. 😛

13. MM Simmerific August 14, 2017 at 5:20 am - Reply

hahaha! it’s hilarious how she gets herself into situations just because she gets carried away, and then she kind of snaps out of it later.

I just want to say I called it! Ha! We haven’t seen the last of this Covington guy. Not sure if I trust him at all, but we’ll see… we’ll see…

• RosemaryMarie August 14, 2017 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Yes, you will definitely see. lol Memphis was so funny. I’m so glad you think so, too.

14. amyqueen December 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm - Reply

Oh no, don’t fall for the smile Memphis! I can’t tell if he’s acting extra hard, or if he did really make a mistake he’s attempting to make amends for… hmm, guess I’ll have to see.
    Memphis’ memories of her parents were so sweet~ They looked so lovely and caring, it’s so sad her and Keniesha are all alone now and facing some difficulties. It’ll be hard for them to part from their home I’m sure.

• RosemaryMarie December 5, 2017 at 8:20 am - Reply

I had so much fun going back in time with Memphis to visit her and Keniesha as children with their parents.

15. ReaganL January 27, 2018 at 8:35 pm - Reply

What sweet memories of her parents. You have to have a big heart to take in another person’s child. Bravo to them. Hmmm, I hope Memphis is careful with Garrett.

• RosemaryMarie January 28, 2018 at 12:52 pm - Reply

I hope she is, too. Garret is really one of those tricky people that you never know where he’s coming from. I really loved playing the Noble family a lot. 🙂