Chapter 5.24: Dear Diary, Back to Work, Back to Life

Dear Diary, it was the night before my first day of work as dance master and I couldn’t sleep. Much to my dismay, it seemed Bea couldn’t either. As I tossed and turned, I heard her chatting to herself through the paper-thin wall we share.

Although I couldn’t make out the words she was saying, I knew from experience she was telling herself a story. It was something she did when she was feeling wide awake.

Ellie opened one eye to look at me and sighed. “Bea’s awake and I have an early staff meeting.”

I brushed some stray hair out of her face then kissed her forehead, my lips lingering there for a moment. “Go back to sleep. I’ll tuck her in again.”

Ellie didn’t argue. Instead, she sighed again and rolled over. Within minutes, I heard the familiar sound of her sleeping.

Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I checked my phone, blinking hard against the digital light. Two in the morning.

“Hello, Daddy,” Bea said, as chipper as ever when she saw me appear in her doorway.

“Why aren’t you asleep, Chicken?”
Every light in her room was on and she was sitting in the middle of her bed, eyes wide open as if it was six in the morning already.

“Are you in or out?” she asked, a question I often plagued her with when she held the outside door open too long.

“I’m in, I’m in.”

“Well, good.”
I pulled a chair up next to the bed and sat on it, facing her as I already knew this was going to take a while.

“Are you annoyed, Daddy?”

“Only a little. Turns out, I wasn’t sleeping either but we’re both in for a big day which means we need rest beforehand. What’s keeping you awake this time?”

“It’s my brain doing it,” she said. “It doesn’t want me to sleep. It wants me to tell stories.”

“That’s what I thought you were doing. What can I do to help you go to sleep?”

“Well, I already used the bathroom and got a drink.”

“Hmm, that limits things, doesn’t it?”
“For sure,” she agreed. “I guess there’s nothing you can do.”

“Well, it’s a good thing for me, I know a few other tricks.”

With that, I turned off the lights in the room, except for her bunny lamp that sat next to the bed. As I started pulling her blanket out from under her, she squirmed.

“No, I want to lay on top of the blankets.”

This was a new one. “Why? I was going to tuck you in all nice and comfy.”

Shaking her head, she reclined, then curled up on her side. “Mommy says I have to make my bed before school every day. If I lay on top of the blankets, I don’t have anything to make!”

This kid.

“How about a story?”

“Oh, uh, like about when you met Jem for the first time?” I asked.

Her nose scrunched up and it was clear I had that wrong.

“No, I meant, I’d tell you a story.”

“Ah, okay, then,” I said.

Once her lengthy rendition of Rapunzel was complete, I sat with her in the darkened room. Soon, her breathing changed and I could tell she was finally sleeping.

But I stood outside her door for a little while to make sure she wasn’t faking me out like she’d done in the past.

Wouldn’t you know, I dozed off right before my alarm began ringing? As I brushed my teeth, I stared at my reflection to remind myself I could do this.

“You’re qualified, you’re prepared, you’re gonna kill this,” I mumbled after spitting.

I’d been dancing all my life. Why was I nervous?
“Howdy, neighbors!” J.P. said as he and Jem strolled in.

“What’re you doing here?”

“It’s good to see you, too,” he laughed as he ushered Jem over to the table.

“I mean, I thought we agreed I’d get Bea off to school if you could pick her up from the bus afterward?”

“Oh, that,” J.P. said with a grin. “Calpurnia is already on her way to work and I’m bored, so here we are. Besides, the kids like to eat breakfast together.”
“Uh, J.P., you’re here… so early,” Ellie stammered as she closed the bedroom door behind her. “How nice to see you… so early.”

Liar, I thought to myself with a smirk while I winked at her.

“Hey, Ellie. So, Holden, what does a dance master do, anyway?” As he spoke, he grabbed a clean mug from the dish drainer and helped himself to the coffee. “It sounds important.”

“It is, but we all have a part to play to bring a production to life. I guess you could say I’m responsible for the dancers’ level of competence. I teach a morning class and then run them through rehearsals.”

“Cool. Where’s your sugar, bro? You’re still in pajamas.”

I pointed to a cupboard behind him as I said, “I don’t start till ten. That’s why I was going to get the kids off to school.”

Dumping an insane amount of sugar into his coffee, he nodded. “Now we can both get them on the bus.”
After Ellie left and I’d finished getting ready, I came out to find both kids chomping on cereal.

“Hey, you’re both wearing bright green,” I said with a smile.

“We planned it, of course,” Bea said around a full mouth.

“Yeah, it gives us superpowers,” Jem agreed.

“What kind of superpowers?”

“The kind that keeps Ron Jones from being mean to us.”

Whoa, wait. Someone was being mean to my little girl? Where was he and what did he look like? I was ready to stomp this kid, whoever he was.

“What does Ron Jones do that’s mean?”

Before they addressed me, Bea and Jem exchanged a look I could only describe as comradery.

“He doesn’t like red hair,” Bea said. “He says Jem is a total freak of nature.”
“Are you hearing this?” I asked J.P.

“Yeah, I went through the same thing when I was a kid. It’ll blow over.”

“Has this kid ever hurt either of you?”

“Nah,” Jem said. “He’s a name caller.”

At that moment, I remembered a time in my own life of bullying because of ballet…
As I reflected on those times, I knew things could work out between Ron, Bea, and Jem if they tried. My bully, Fletcher, had become my friend and then, later, my boyfriend.

I wondered what was happening in Ron’s life that caused him to behave the way he was? For Fletcher, it was because he was actually gay but couldn’t tell anyone. He felt his parents would never have understood and so, he lashed out at me, someone he thought was gay.

Bea and Jem were smart. It would be hard, but J.P. could be right that this would blow over.

Still, I had to be sure no one was going to get hurt.
“So, what are you guys going to do about this mean kid?” I asked.

“We’re gonna make him wish he was our friend and allowed to wear our green superpower color,” Jem said.

“But no matter what,” Bea added, “he’s not allowed to play with us. Even if he starts being nice.”

“Do you think that’s fair?”

“Aunt Rosetta says life isn’t fair,” Bea said with a shrug.

“Aunt Rosetta, huh?”

“She didn’t lie,” J.P. said, refilling his cup and digging out more sugar.

I shot a glare at him, hoping he’d notice but also figuring he wouldn’t.
“Look, kids, if you’re able to make him so jealous he wants to be nice and play with you, then you should let him. Give him a break and be nice back to him.”

“Even though he’s so mean to Jem now?” Bea asked, her mouth twisting into an incredulous gape.

“Even though,” I clarified. “There was a guy so mean to me once, he hit me in the face. You know what I did? I found a way to be friends with him.”

“Hey, uh, yeah, your dad is right,” J.P. said. He must have caught the meaning of my glare after all. “If the kid is being nice, then include him and be friends.”

“Okay, but he’s not allowed to wear green until we say,” Jem said.

“Fine, if that’s the best you can do,” I agreed.

With the kids off to school and the early morning activities behind me, I took a cab to work. So far, we only had one car and I insisted Ellie use it. In all honesty, I wasn’t a very good driver because living in the city, I’d never had to do it. Ellie was more adventurous that way. Besides, there were too many times I’d found myself the wrong way down a one-way street. That’s not cool.

Gazing around the mirrored studio where my class would soon take place, I let the familiarity sink in. Every fiber of my of my soul longed to arabesque across the shiny, smooth floor. Taking in a deep breath, the air smelled of rosin but also of the toil and sweat that came with this art form. With it all, was the lingering scent of Tiger Balm for soothing muscles. If I closed my eyes, I could almost hear the soft tapping sound well worn pointe shoes made as ballerinas danced.

I was back.

It wasn’t completely the same, but I was where I wanted to be.
Opening my eyes, I could hear the dancers approaching and my stomach did an excited little flip.

Today, I was alive again.

As always, thank you for reading, liking, lurking, and commenting,

2018-10-14T13:05:54+00:00

1. bmitjessesue October 13, 2018 at 10:13 am - Reply

I loved this chapter. A full day in the life of this family we love. To see the progression of events, hear their thoughts fully and feel what they feel. It was perfectly done. I feel this family is finally going to get the life they should have had all along.

• Kymber October 13, 2018 at 10:40 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Bee 🙂 I’m so glad you liked it. It’s nice to see things coming together for them, isn’t it? I think you’re right that they are going to be fine now.

2. joliesattic October 13, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

Very nice. Those kids are a curiosity though. Waiting to see how their lives will evolve.

• Kymber October 13, 2018 at 10:58 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Jolie 🙂 I’m waiting to see how their lives evolve, too. I can’t wait to delve into Bea’s story.

3. cathytea October 13, 2018 at 12:32 pm - Reply

So happy he’s back in the world of dance !

• Kymber October 13, 2018 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Thank you, CT! 🙂 I’m glad about that, too.

4. Jes2G October 13, 2018 at 1:12 pm - Reply

JP is a weeeeeeee bit too comfortable in that house lol. Like, did he seriously just stroll over unannounced, let himself in, and say “we’re bored??” LOL they need to talk to him.

Look at Holden looking like someone daddy. 😛

“Aunt Rosetta says life isn’t fair,” Bea said with a shrug.
    Bahahahaha!! I will be very disappointed if this story isn’t riddled with “Rosetta saids” lol.

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Thank you so much 🙂 You noticed how J.P. just kind of strolled in and made himself to home, did you? LOLOL Yeah, I think if that becomes a habit, Holden might need to say something.

Holden loves that little Chicken so much. LOLOL

I’m so glad you liked that part! haha I won’t let you down, there’s going to be more of the “Rosetta saids” coming right up! LOL

• Jes2G October 14, 2018 at 2:15 pm - Reply

Yaaaaaas! 😀 I think, if for some reason Rosetta never showed up in the story again, all the Rosetta saids would be enough to keep her spirit alive LOL. Of course, I don’t want to never see her again, but her spirit lives in the Rosetta saids lol.

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Hahaha! That’s such a good point! Every time Bea says, “Aunt Rosetta says…” I’m sure Holden will be shaking in his boots. 😛

• Jes2G October 14, 2018 at 3:04 pm

For sure!

5. sempreviva October 13, 2018 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Lmao! Bea is such a cutie pie! What a character <3 I know I’m gonna love following her journey when her time comes 🙂
    Hmmm JP is starting to become a little pain in the butt, right? I loved Ellie’s reaction though 😉 But I hope he won’t keep this behavior up!
    Ah, Holden. At long last, this room is yours again. I’m so happy for him! <3

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Thank you so much 🙂 I can’t wait to get to Bea’s story. I’m thinking it’s going to be on the light-hearted side from what I know about her in game. 😀

LOL @ J.P. Ellie is like, “Go. Away.” hahaha Holden needs to take care of that early visiting. LOL

I love how you put that the room was his again. ❤

6. NotJustaBook October 13, 2018 at 2:53 pm - Reply

This was great! Cute little Bea and her stories <3 She’s wonderful. And it’s great to have Holden back where he wants to be, even if it’s not quite what he wants to do. It was a lovely chapter, Kym <3

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Thank you, Louise ❤ I’m glad you think Bea is wonderful. I can’t wait for you to get to know her better and to see what you think. 🙂

Holden is back! lol

7. lisabeesims October 13, 2018 at 2:57 pm - Reply

I am lovin’ little Bea .. so matter of fact! I know Holden will do FAB and so glad to see him getting his mojo back.

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 12:50 pm - Reply

Thank you, Lisa. ❤ I’m glad you’re loving Bea. I think Holden is indeed getting his mojo back.

• lisabeesims October 14, 2018 at 1:26 pm - Reply

She is a little spit fire so the next gen will be fun

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 2:41 pm - Reply

That’s true, she is. Let’s hope so! haha 😀

8. chalicen October 13, 2018 at 4:20 pm - Reply

Bea is growing up so fast, and Holden is back to dancing, I can finally say everything is alright again! No jinx this time!
    I laughed aloud when I saw Bea had actually fallen asleep on top of the covers. She’s so cute! The way she tells herself stories and her aunt Rosetta way of looking at the world is going to make her such an interesting heir. Love this.

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 12:54 pm - Reply

Thank you so much ❤ Holden is back! He has returned! 😀 I think you can safely say that everything is all right. No jinxes here.

I’m glad you liked the part where Bea slept on top of the covers. That is actually loosely based on something my son did when he was little. I told him to make his bed before school every day and then I noticed he was using his sleeping bag every night on top of his covers. LOLOL As I’ve gotten to know Bea, I’ve realized, she’s that kid, too. 😛 I hope she will be an interesting heir. I do have some light-hearted fare coming her way when she gets older. lol

9. audreyfld October 14, 2018 at 12:33 am - Reply

Bea is adorable. But I do wonder about her talking to herself. And Rosetta, keep away from this girl! JP is super weird! And almost creepy. But Jem and Bea are sweet! Bea is obviously the leader.

And Holden! ❤️❤️❤️ Back at the studio where he belongs. It was good to see him taking care of Bea and working again.

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Audrey ❤ Yeah, what’s up with all that talking to herself? Anything? Hmm… 😀 It’s not clear yet how much of an influence Rosetta will have been on Bea throughout her life. But I can’t wait for the next gen. J.P. makes himself to home very fast which Holden might have to put a stop to. LOL I know Ellie’s not real big on it.

Holden has returned! ❤

10. Jowita October 14, 2018 at 2:31 pm - Reply

I’m sorry to be so late. I was rather busy yesterday and not feeling well. Today… not much better, but I really wanted to catch up already, so here I am.
    Bea is such a cute little girl and a storyteller, too, how cool! Holden is such a great daddy and he clearly loves her very much. Well, we never know what life might bring us. Such as Fletcher becoming Holden’s boyfriend! Who knows what’s up with the kid and why he feels he needs to bully them. And he’s called Ron? Ironic. The famous Ron from Harry Potter is actually a redhead!
    Aw, back to the basics. So happy for Holden! ♥

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Thank you, Jowita ❤ Don’t worry about being late. 🙂 I hope you’re feeling better soon.

I’m so glad you like Bea. She is definitely a story teller but will that be a good thing or bad? lol 😀 You’re so right about not knowing what life will bring. I don’t know why I named him Ron, but perhaps I was channeling a mean version of your Ron? hahaha Sometimes I name a character and I realize later, oh wait, that name is being used heavily in so and so’s story. 😛

• Jowita October 14, 2018 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Lol, my Ron is actually mean-spirited. But you see, that’s kind of hard to incorporate into the story, because his other traits make him a pretty decent guy. 😛

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 2:55 pm - Reply

LOL! I had no idea! Rosetta rolled both mean-spirited and insane. 😛 Or was it evil? I can’t remember now.

• Jowita October 14, 2018 at 3:20 pm

I think it was insane. Well, I think I’d incorporate Ron’s trait in him being brutally honest. Not sure if I’ll make it work, but I think it could, to some extent, be included in the definition of mean-spirited. I’ll see.

• Kymber October 14, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Yes, I think you’re right that it was insane. As for Ron, I definitely think that could work. 😀 Can’t wait to see if you include it or not.

11. lifeslemonslegacy October 14, 2018 at 9:36 pm - Reply

Bea not getting under her covers so she doesn’t have to make her bed was so me as a child! She’s hilarious! I love her!

• Kymber October 16, 2018 at 10:33 am - Reply

That’s funny that you did that, too. lol I got that from my son who did that when I told him he had to make his bed before school every day only he used his sleeping bag on top of the covers. lol I’m so glad you love Bea! 🙂

12. raymondsanti October 14, 2018 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I’m glad that Bea stands up for Jem! It helps to have a good friend when dealing with bullying, although Holden does have a good point about forgiveness. Bea is an interesting girl, that’s for sure! Talking to herself that much, I wonder if she inherited her father/aunt’s almost supernatural powers or ability to see ghosts.

Aww, Holden is back to ballet <3 I hope he has a great first day

• Kymber October 16, 2018 at 10:36 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Raymond 🙂 I’m glad Bea stands up for Jem, too. Seems like they have a tight friendship there. I’m glad you think Bea is interesting. I’m still getting a feel for her; I’m looking forward to seeing what other traits she rolls when she is grown up. That’s a good question about the ghosts. 😀

It’s nice to see Holden back in his element. ❤ I’m personally glad things are getting back to normal. lol

13. heatherfeather19 October 17, 2018 at 12:45 pm - Reply

I like you, JP. Let’s not change that. >.> At least Holden and Ellie’s surprise shows that his barging in isn’t a regular thing.

I’m glad Holden told the kids about him being nice to his bully. Nice teaching moment. ☺

I hope the rest of his first day went well. He’s gonna be great at it!

14. twinsimskeletons October 18, 2018 at 8:55 am - Reply

It feels to me a bit strange that JP just barged in – clearly it doesn’t happen all the time. Weird. I would hate that! He seems too much of a morning person, too.
    Oh God, driving in complicated places – I hate it! Before I learned to drive, I thought roundabouts were the most difficult thing, but it turned out to be one way streets and multiple city lanes going to different places with bad directions. Ugh!
    It’s good to see Holden back at it <3

Privacy & Cookies: Booomcha.com uses cookies to improve your user experience. If you continue browsing, we assume that you consent to our use of cookies. Close & Accept