Chapter 2.22: Dear J, How Do I Love Thee?

Leo finally proposes! Will the wedding go off without a hitch?

Dear J, once I got the go ahead from Blue, I tracked Ruby down to talk to her. I know how important it is to make sure we’re all on the same page regarding this. The last thing I would ever want is to make Ruby unhappy.

“… And so, I wanted to talk to you before I actually propose. You’re really important to me, Ruby. I love you and I care about how you feel.”

It was immediately apparent that Ruby was trying to hide some kind of smirk. The joy in her eyes was unmistakable.

“Of course it’s okay with me,” she enthused as if there could be no other answer. “I’ve been calling you ‘dad’ behind your back for at least three years already.

I couldn’t help but grin at her when she said that. My heart was pretty much bursting with pride and happiness that this kid thought so much of me.

“I’m so glad to hear that,” I said. “I really just want you and Blue to be comfortable with everything.”

“Oh, we are,” she assured me. “Now you just have to sweep my mom off her feet!”

Hopefully, that wouldn’t be the hard part. “Well, you know, she took that quiz in Fan Weekly and she matched up to me perfectly.”

“I know, I read the questions to her,” she giggled.

That’s when it occurred to me just how much Ruby and Blue may have been working behind the scenes to get Leela and I together. Normally, this may have bothered me, but not this time. Instead, I was eternally grateful because I really felt like Leela was my soulmate.

“So, do you have any suggestions for me?”

She put a finger to her chin as if deep in thought. “Hmmm…. All I can say is, don’t beat around the bush. She likes it when people get straight to the point. But don’t get straight to the point right away…. be romantic, too. Just, you know, don’t fart around with it.”

Who could ever go wrong with advice like that?

When Leela was done at the bakery and had changed, I picked her up. The limo driver already knew where we were going, so I didn’t spill anything unnecessarily in front of her.

As the car pulled up to the curb, I was the one to open Leela’s door and walk with her down to the water. There was a sailboat in the distance which kind of added to the serenity of the spot.

“This is where we shared our first kiss,” Leela said, her voice soft, the words caressing me and smoothing out my frayed nerves.

As we watched the boat for a few more minutes, I took her delicate hand in mine, entwining my fingers with hers. With my thumb, I could feel the silkiness of her skin and thinking about that almost made me forget why we were there in the first place.

Had I waited long enough before getting straight to the point? Would Ruby be urging me on? Or would she be rolling her eyes that I hadn’t asked for Leela’s hand yet?

Clearly, I was driving myself insane. I just needed to do this.

Dropping to one knee, I opened the ring box, displaying the contents for her.

“Leela, you are my best friend but more than that, I know you’re the only one I want to share the rest of my life with. I can’t imagine growing old with anyone else. The fact is, I don’tΒ want to. And I know my life will never be complete without you beside me to share it. There’s so much I love about you. I realize that you deserve the very best, someone who will back you up unconditionally, let you grow without barriers, and love you always. Will you let me be the one?”

My heart stopped beating and I held my breath waiting for her to respond. For a minute, I thought maybe this was a big mistake and that she would turn me down.

But, all of a sudden, she grinned from ear to ear as tears filled her eyes and said, “You’re in my heart to stay, Leo. I love you dearly and I always will. Of course I’ll marry you.”

I was grinning now, too, as I slid the diamond ring onto her slender finger. It shone brilliantly against her skin.

Later on, we went back to her lake house. We had the house to ourselves as the girls were entertaining themselves tonight. I was supposed to meet them back at my house in a few hours.

To celebrate the occasion of our engagement, Leela and I (mostly Leela, to be honest) made a really terrific grilled salmon, potatoes and grilled zucchini. It was delicious. I think. I spent most of the time watching her eat.

And I did the dishes as a thank you for the fantastic dinner.

Afterwards, we moved to the deck where we snuggled and talked quietly about our future together.

This was one of the best days of my life and I was sorry when I had to end it and go home.

I was walking on clouds as I entered the house. I couln’t wait to tell the girls about the engagement. Surprisingly, though, all the lights were on even though it was so late. I expected that Ruby and Blue would be in their pajamas and in the TV room with a big bowl of popcorn or something.

Instead, I heard an all too familiar voice in the living room and inwardly groaned.

As I suspected, Chrissy was here and she was chatting up a storm with Ruby and Blue.

The girls’ faces were turned away from me, so I couldn’t see their expressions, but my heart had plummeted to my shoes as I realized this was the first time Blue was meeting her mother.

What could she be thinking, coming here like this so unexpectedly and uninvited? Anger began to bubble beneath the surface of my skin, threatening to burst out at any minute.

“Oh, hi, Leo,” she said as if this was totally normal.

Between gritted teeth, I said, “Hello, Chrissy. What brings you here at this time of night?”

Smiling at me, she said, “Well, I was released from rehab and decided to pay a visit. Blue looks real good.”

Blue didn’t say anything, but seemed to be regarding Chrissy with caution. Ruby had a slight, forced smile on her face that I’m sure she used because she thought it was polite.

“Blue, Ruby, go upstairs and get ready for bed. I’ll be up in a minute,” I said, quickly stepping in to gain some control.

Blue looked questioningly at me, but I gave her my ‘just do what I say’ face. She and Ruby slipped past me. When I heard their footsteps upstairs and Blue’s door closing, I turned back to Chrissy.

“We need to talk,” I growled.

1. Oh no, I so hope Chrissy is not up to spoil anything Leo worked so hard on (the marriage with Leela and the relationship with his daughter). She always seems to turn up out of blue (you get that, lol). Leo’s proposal was wonderful and I hope Chrissy’s visit wouldn’t change Leela’s decision.

Liked by 4 people

1. Thank you, Jowita. Yes, let’s hope that Leela understands that Leo has no control over this woman but he has to put up with her to some degree since he has a daughter with her. Chrissy does turn up at the worst times. Perhaps it won’t be a terrible thing, though. πŸ™‚ P.S. love the little “blue” joke! haha πŸ˜€

Liked by 2 people

2. OMG NO not Chrissy. She really does have a way of ruining everything doesn’t she? She better not cause trouble for Leela and Leo or I will personally go into your game and give her a good butt kicking into 30 yrs into the future. Also Chrissy better not have told Blue who she is that is NOT her place to do so. The engagement of Leela and Leo was just lovely. Can’t wait for the wedding.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, Lil! πŸ˜€ Lol! I can just see you jumping into my game and going after Chrissy! haha Perhaps we should look at it this way, it’s an opportunity to find out what kind of family this can be. Can they work it out and get along? Is Chrissy even going to stay in the picture? As for Leela, I think her reaction to Chrissy will reveal a lot about what kind of person she is. Can’t wait to continue this story line! πŸ˜€

Liked by 2 people

1. I am very much looking forward to seeing how things play out. I want all the rest of the chapters NOW! But, I guess I will be patient even though I don’t want to be.

Liked by 1 person

3. Well darn!!! First I actually cried at the proposal, then I actually cussed when I saw Chrissy!!! She is certainly the bad penny, turning up at the wrong time…grrrrrrrrrrr! I can hardly wait to see how Leela handles this situation, and hope it doesn’t have any adverse consequences on their happiness. I will TRY to be patient!! =(

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, Marj! So good to see you back online! πŸ™‚ Awwwww….. you cried at the proposal? You softie. πŸ™‚ I cursed a little, too, when I decided Chrissy had to be there. lol Leela will be putting her 2 cents in very soon! πŸ™‚

4. Noooo! Chrissy certainly has a knack for showing up at the worst possible moments! I can only imagine what she has already said to Blue.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much. πŸ™‚ Yes, Chrissy does tend to put a damper on things, I tell you what. That’s a good question about what she may have said to Blue already. Hopefully nothing damaging!

Liked by 1 person

5. I really hope rehab has done her some good and she won’t mess things up for Leo. That’s all I’m going to say regarding Chrissy.
    Leo and Leela are sweet together.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, Violincat πŸ™‚ I hope rehab has done its job with Chrissy, too. The last thing Leo needs at this moment is more drama! I’m glad you like Leo and Leela together. In game, they really hit it off right away; floating hearts and all. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

6. OH NO. I was all happy that the engagement went perfect but now Chrissy has shown up, I feel like she’s going to bring trouble with her! Hopefully I’m wrong and rehab has turned her around, because if she ruins the wedding I will come inside the game and perhaps slap her round the head. I wonder what Leela is going to think if she meets her; being quite different, they probably won’t get along… but crossing my fingers, Chrissy won’t do anything bad. Maybe I should give her a chance but right now I kinda just want her out of the picture for good- Blue has a perfect mom in the shape of Leela….
    Nice chapter πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, Lila πŸ™‚ Let’s hope Chrissy doesn’t bring as much trouble with her as you fear. She really doesn’t have that great of a track record in that department, though. lol I can just see you now, coming into my game and giving Chrissy what for! I think that’s a good point that she and Leela probably won’t get along, but hopefully, it won’t be unbearable for her or Leo. πŸ™‚ I think Leela is a good mom, too.

Liked by 1 person

7. I knew things were going a little to smoothly. Chrissy is up to something otherwise why just show up at Leo’s house? I can understand being anxious to meet Blue now that she’s clean but there’s a right and a wrong way to do things. This just shows how little she’s changed. Chrissy is still the same selfish girl she was when she gave Blue up. At least that’s the impression I have after this episode. I sure hope this doesn’t change Leelas answer to marry Leo. I wouldn’t be surprised she seems to change her mind at the drop of a hat.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! πŸ™‚ Yes, you called it about Chrissy in your last comment! I’m not surprised you sensed that, though, as you seem very in tune with things. Chrissy definitely didn’t handle things the right way; she should have talked to Leo prior to barging in like that and disturbing Blue’s life. I have the distinct feeling, Leo will be addressing that! Hopefully, this wedding still happens and all will be well. πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

8. I’m so happy for Leo and Leela! Of course Chrissy had to show up at the most inopportune time… I really hope she doesn’t mess everything up :0

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, Raymond! πŸ™‚ I’m so happy for Leo and Leela, too. Hopefully, Chrissy is made to understand a few things and she won’t be too much of a problem. I can never promise, though. lol πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

9. Not okay, Chrissy! Not okay! You do NOT show up at someone’s house without permission! And Blue! Why the hell’d you let her in the house! God! >:/

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, fluffymao! πŸ™‚ And, right? I agree with everything you said. I think we’ll find out in the next chapter why Blue let her in, but believe me, the things you’ve mentioned will be addressed by Leo.

10. I’m so happy Leela said yes! The proposal was so cute! πŸ™‚
    I can’t believe Chrissy would just come to their house without asking Leo first! She is still a stranger to Blue and she isn’t exactly part of the family. I hope Blue doesn’t know just yet, but I got the feeling she doesn’t, as she would have probably been furious with Leo and yelled at him!

1. Also I really love ❀ the new header image! It’s really nice! πŸ™‚

1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback on that. πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

2. Thank you so much, shannynlee! πŸ™‚ I’m really happy Leela said yes, too. Let’s hope it takes and the wedding goes off without a hitch! lol I so agree with your assessment of Chrissy. We’ll be finding out what Blue knows in the next chapter. πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

11. I did a lot of AWWWWW and Ohhhhhhh, Isn’t that sweet???!!!!! Then at the end I was at GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Give her heck Leo!!! Trouble is afoot, how devious and underhanded that was!!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, Bee! πŸ™‚ Hopefully it won’t be as bad as it seems. Hopefully. lol πŸ˜€ I imagine Leo has a lot he’d like to say to her.

Liked by 1 person

1. I have a lot I would like to say to her!

Liked by 1 person

12. How did I miss this one. I need to commit to the reader more often I guess. Group usually takes up so much of my time that I ran out of time to check in here.

1. Hi, Lisa! πŸ™‚ I’m glad you made it. lol πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

13. GUH! And here I thought my comment was going to be “weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” LOL However, squee for the engagement! I hope Chrissy doesn’t plum things up!!

1. Me, too! She is like a bad penny, isn’t she? LOL

Liked by 1 person

14. As I was reading, I was thinking about Chrissy and how he’d possibly explain that to Leela, then suddenly she appears. I guess if you think about her, she’ll just pop up anywhere! Man, I wanna at least think something nice about the girl, but you can’t just pop in here uninvited. There’s rules and boundaries, Chrissy! She so does not have the right yet to just show up whenever she pleases. Goodness cakes!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, Rosie. πŸ™‚ The Chrissy situation can get messy fast, but part of that, I think, is that Leo keeps too much to himself.

2. It’s funny that she showed up just when you were thinking about her! haha

Liked by 1 person

15. The proposal was so so sweet! ❀ Of course Leela couldn't say no! But Chrissy!! Leave the man and his family alone! Oh I'm so irritated by her coming uninvited like this, like it's the most natural thing in the world. Well missy (rhymes with Chrissy πŸ˜‚), it's not!! 😑

Liked by 1 person

1. hahaha Missy (rhymes with Chrissy)! Sorry, that made me laugh. lol And I totally agree with you! She is quite a bother!

Liked by 1 person

16. Of course she shows up now. Pfft. But Chrissy aside, everything’s peachy and I’m happy. I also like that we got the perspective of the rock star instead of the “regular” girl he’s wooing. It’s a different twist to the rock star love story, and it’s also sweet that Leo can be so geeky and clueless with girls sometimes. I wish we could turn this into a Hallmark movie or something.

Liked by 1 person

1. Awwww that’s so sweet of you to say. ❀ ❀ Leo is totally geeky and clueless. hahaha πŸ˜€

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s